Friday 12 November 2010

Spoken Corpus: Grammatical Item Analysis: NOT

 The Corpus

The data for the written corpus was obtained from the internet. Five websites were viewed and retrieved, and all of them are related to hobbies. The websites are, Anuar’s Fishing Site: FishesAnuar’s Fishing Site: Articles (issues on fishing)New Gunung Online: Gear PageKuala Lumpur Mountainbike Hash: Trails in Peninsular Malaysia and Dan Loh’s Martial Arts Site: Background Page.

The pages from Anuar’s Fishing Site, which are Fishes and Articles (issues on fishing)were viewed and retrieved on 21st July 2004 from http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/olympia/martial/70/ and http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/olympia/martial/70/article1.html respectively. Fishes deals with the types of fish which can be found and caught in Malaysia. It also explains the details of the fishes and how to fish them. Articles (issues on fishing) on the other hand, consists of two articles. Sportsfishing for Dummies talks about the types of fishing equipment, and Is fishing a game or just a hobby or just to cari makan?? talks about issues of game fishing.     New Gunung Online: Gear Page was viewed and retrieved on 21st July 2001 from http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbourside/83/. It deals with the types of necessary equipment and gear suitable for jungle trekking in Malaysian climate and weather. Kuala Lumpur Mountainbike Hash: Trails in Peninsular Malaysia was viewed and retrieved on 22nd July 2004 from http://www.bikehash.freeservers.com. The Website offers details of the various mountbiking trails found in Peninsular Malaysia.Dan Loh’s Martial Arts Site: Background Page was viewed and retrieved on 25th July 2004 from http://members.tripod.com/%7EKerg/dan/index.html. The page tells the history and experience of a martial artist, and how he got to be who he is today.

Grammatical Item Analysis

For the grammatical item analysis, the negation aspect is selected for both spoken and written corpora, which is not. Not, according to Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (1989), basically has three meanings:

1.         a.         used with auxiliary verbs and modals to for the negative; often contracted to (n’t) in speech or informal writing,

b.         used with non-finite verbs to give the negative,

2.         a.         used after believe, expect, hope, trust etc. instead of a clause beginning with that or containing a negative verb,

b.         used to indicate the negative alternative after questions with are you, do you etc.,

3.         a.         used to reply in the negative part or all of a question, and

b.         used to deny the significance of the following word or phrase.

Spoken Corpus

NOT has the frequency of 80 and the contracted form N’T has the frequency of 37 in the spoken corpus. NOT collocates mainly with modals, be-copula and auxiliary verbs do and have in the corpus (61 occurrences, including in questions). For example:

1.         Preceded by modals

3 be remembered or you would not  be valued for it whereas his talents and his
5 would not be but unfortunately he would not  be remembered or you would
5 stuff legends being made up that may not  uh  Tell us what happened then
14 you will uhm enjoy success and you will not  be given preferential treatment just because
20 about how the Malay agenda should not  be uh uh abandoned or vacated and how
32 too too much on crutches they would not  be able to compete I’m not talking
42 could not decision political decision could not  handle them right , because it’s
53 purely on the Malays would not will not  give us enough people to go forward
56 don’t have that then the country will not  benefit right You you’re talking
64 thing is you know this time now you could not  decision political decision could

2.         Preceded by be-copula

1 thumbs down All right the clue is not  good supposedly Hi Good morning
2 Australia New Zealand Erm we’re not  far behind and sometimes I think we can
4 they would not be able to compete I’m not  talking about crutches , you know
7 few and far between uh I mean they’re not  many in numbers Yes you
8 uhm my my so called retort that you are not  my father or you are not old enough
23 But after two years I found that I was not  qualified to do anything else so I stayed
44 the ambition of No I I was not  thinking of saying oh after this fight
51 job in the private sector Uhm we are not  we are different from the Malays
58 you said that Vision twenty-twenty is not  for the Malays It’s not something
63 Yes yes I think uhm uhm those are not  the reasons why I joined politics
68 The the conflict is not  driven by ambition? Uhm you think
69 anybody was there verify that I’m not  going to say it happened unless somebody

3.         Preceded by auxiliary verbs do and have


15 fascination for motor sports did not  happen overnight It started in 1910
28 I talk about the Malay agenda uh it does not  necessarily mean that you give crutches
29 happened in the past for the Malays do not  necessarily do not necessarily go to the best
57 uh the things that you mentioned uh did not  happen uh in cabinet uhm my my so called
78 you know they can’t they’re not they do not  know how to network with the
79 how you speak to you father and did you not  say well but you are not my father
60 You made the comment that there have not  been democracy in UMNO since

Some instances of NOT in the study is also found to be followed adjectives, nouns or noun phrase, generally as compliments to the be-copula. For instance:

1.         Followed by Adjectives

1 me thumbs down All right the clue is not  good supposedly Hi Good morning
2 Australia New Zealand Erm we’re not  far behind and sometimes I think
23 But after two years I found that I was not  qualified to do anything else so I stayed
33 that you are not my father or you are not  old enough to be my father didn’t
35 Rainforest No no they’re not  connected the two words They’re
45 comments of you? Uhm perhaps it’s not  right because uh I’m not allowed
77 something that do you do you were you not  polite or were you not asked this

2.         Followed by Nouns or Noun Phrase

8 my my so called retort that you are not  my father or you are not old enough
21 Uh huh  Is that is that not  a good thing you think uh? Well
22 drive a taxi Uh I mean that’s totally uh not  an unpleasant job and , and that’s
26 uhm I don’t look like a businessman I’m not  the corporate type So I suppose it’s a
27 call Beckham Lose loser I mean it’s not  a nice thing to call somebody but
55 and did you not say well but you are not  my father? Laugh Is it true all these things?
63 Yes yes I think uhm uhm those are not  the reasons why I joined politics
70 Melayu ya we say you know you’re not  a kaki bodek ya? But it could be

Besides that, NOT is also followed by verbs in base form when a modal or auxiliary verb do precedes it, and verbs in progressive form (-ing) when be-verb precedes it. We can see this is in:

1.         Followed by verbs in base form

3  not be remembered or you would not  be valued for it whereas his talents
5 be but unfortunately he would not  be remembered or you would
13 crutches right it could be done but would not  be but unfortunately he would
14 you will uhm enjoy success and you will not  be given preferential treatment
15 Malaysia’s fascination for motor sports did not  happen overnight It started in 1910 in
20 about how the Malay agenda should not  be uh uh abandoned or vacated and
28 I talk about the Malay agenda uh it does not  necessarily mean that you give crutches
29 in the past for the Malays do not  necessarily do not necessarily go to the
32 too too much on crutches they would not  be able to compete I’m not talking
42 could not decision political decision could not  handle them right , because it’s
53 purely on the Malays would not will not  give us enough people to go forward to
56 you don’t have that then the country will not  benefit right You you’re talking about
57 uh the things that you mentioned uh did not  happen uh in cabinet uhm my my so 
79 you speak to you father and did you not  say well but you are not my father

2.         Followed by verbs in progressive form

4 they would not be able to compete I’m not  talking about crutches ,
19 no matter how good you are you’re not  going to go anywhere you know
41 I’m sorry uh we’re not  hearing you too well Can you can
44 mean the ambition of No I I was not  thinking of saying oh after this fight I’m
46 relatives our friends you know We’re not  getting the best Malays , You must
65 allowed to get No no we’re not we’re not  campaigning or anything like
69 anybody was there verify that I’m not  going to say it happened unless somebody
75 uh you know Uh uhm I’m not  talking necessarily of your ambition

Although this is spoken corpus, instances of NOT when used with modals, be-copula or be-verb, or other auxiliary verbs, instead of the contracted form N’T, is considered to be quite high. There are perhaps two reasons why the speakers chose to use NOT in its non-contracted form. Firstly, the speakers wanted to stress the negation of the statement, where NOT has a stronger negative than the contracted form N’T. Secondly, some of the be-copula or be-verb or other auxiliary verbs are already contracted with the subject of the sentence. Therefore, another contraction of NOT is not possible.

The contracted form of NOT, N’T, which occurs 37 times in the spoken corpus, is found to occur only with auxiliary verb do: 33 times with do, twice with did and twice with does. Out of 33 occurrences, N’T occurs 22 times with the first person pronoun I. For example:

1 look like a statis statistician uhm I don’t  look like a businessman I’m not the
2 anyway Thanks anyway Uh I don’t  know if there’s any more call if there isn’t
5 All Come Come on Joe cock I don’t  know Nigel’s giving me thumbs All right
6 think it was I don’t think it was I don’t  think it was uh you Uh uhm I’m
7 Beckham is OK I don’t like him but I don’t  like to say bad things about
8 about rate Uhm I don’t think it was I don’t  think it was I don’t think it was
9 OK you don’t fully deny it Laugh I don’t  think anybody was there verify that I’m
11 Guess who’s gonna be gone now? I don’t  know You gonna be gone laugh
12 assumptions about I mean uh because I don’t  look like a statis statistician uhm
13 can do Uh I don’t know Cockroach I don’t  know Hi Good morning
14 Yea exactly I I’m very excited I don’t  know who’s gonna win Yes somebody’s
15 wedding in November I! Exactly I don’t  know when is the date but I think
19 love L O V Loved? Past tense? What? I don’t  get it Loved Loved Loved
22 statistician to talk about rate Uhm I don’t  think it was I don’t think it was I don’t
23 with kill little that Uhm Am I right? I don’t  think so laugh OK Good
25 not a nice thing to call somebody but I don’t  know some people say Oh come on
27 cockroach uh uh uh What cockroach I don’t  know Come on you can do Uh I
28 peno Uh uhm Extremely Ya I don’t  know how you ever get that close
30 playing the word game But you cheat I don’t  cheat No I know you cheat No
31 some people Yea Beckham is OK I don’t  like him but I don’t like to say bad things
33 I don’t Come on you can do Uh I don’t  know Cockroach I don’t know
37 He walked in here I’m so lucky I didn’t  say it again laugh All righty

The study also found that, because N’T is used with auxiliary verb do, it is followed by base form of verb, as we can see in the analysis above. Other instances in the corpus are:

3 How can you help me please Don’t embarrass me laugh
4 become as as good as can be and if you don’t have that then the country will not
16 environment is very demanding and and don’t you think that Malaysia also needs
17 The kind of company that uh don’t look like corporate
18 you know then then Malay and don’t you think uh it might be useful to had
24 think of household all No don’t give me the clues just give
26 He said ya give it a try for two If you don’t like it uhm you tell me then
27 have any recollection of OK OK you don’t fully deny it Laugh I don’t think
29 that uh don’t look like corporate don’t look like uh you know the fast-moving
32 the politicians So you have to if you don’t know anybody right no matter how
34 beautiful fact that they Malays doesn’t   realise what was happening after
35 interpretation at that time and also that don’t mean it’s funny for a statistician to
36 you are not old enough to be my father didn’t happen in public event If it it

It is interesting to find that NOT is only contracted with auxiliary verbs do, does and did. Perhaps the speakers are more comfortable to contract NOT with the most common form of contraction in Malaysian English. Although we also see that NOT being used in non-contracted form with auxiliary verbs do, does and did, we do not see contracted form N’T being used with modals, be-copula or be-verb, or other auxiliary verbs.

Conclusion

In the grammatical item analysis, negation NOT and the contracted form N’T is selected for analysis. The most interesting finding in this section is that NOT collocates with only grammar function words, such as modals, be-copula or be-verb, or other auxiliary verbs, but not with any specific content word. This could suggest that the topic of discussion in spoken corpus is varied and of different genres. Therefore, patterns of collocation of content words are inadequate to be analysed.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Dictionary.com. Viewed and retrieved on 27th September 2004 from http://dictionary.reference.com/

Graeme, Kennedy. An Introduction to Corpus Linguistics. London: Longman, 1998.

Hanston, Susan. Corpora in Applied Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002.

Hornby, A.S. Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English (4th Ed.). Cowie, A.P. (Chief Ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1989


.

No comments:

Post a Comment